Sunday, May 20, 2007

PMBR conclusion thoughts and hearsay about practicing these multiple choice questions from a NY atty

Most of my sentiments from the PMBR halfway post are still the same. I think that if you are disciplined and can study on your own, the 6-day course isn't worth it. The 3-day course is probably worth it just to get the workbooks, but again, I think you can save your money and time and just get the books on ebay and work through them on your own.

The lectures are solid and useful. Although I found myself disagreeing with many of the points on technical grounds, and I also believe that several of PMBR's questions and answers have erroneous and misleading clauses to them, I have no reasonable basis to believe that the MBE isn't the same way (although I would think that as a professional multiple choice test, it would not have such patent ambiguities on certain questions).

So, if you don't take the 6-day course, don't worry, you didn't miss anything. If you do take it, it certainly won't hurt you, and probably is helpful to put you in the mindset of studying that you need to be in.

On another related note, from speaking to one of my friends who passed the NY bar last year, he (surprisingly) said that Barbri's questions were closer to the real thing. He did qualify that by saying that it's not so much the questions but the repetition of practicing 33-50 questions a day and just getting used to the law. He said that PMBR's questions were harder and, as a result, less indicative of the real thing, but at the same time were good since it made the real thing more bearable. He also said that regardless of whether you concentrate on Barbri's or PMBR's questions, stick to one system and just follow their study schedule. Hopefully that works for me as well.

Bar review starts tomorrow. Hopefully I can get in a quick 9 before my life disappears for the next two months.

Tags: ,