Monday, May 21, 2007

Jericho cancelled? And Katie Couric stays?

Only had to pick up the dozen or so 100+ page books for bar review today, and so after lugging them back to my car, I have the rest of the day off. Which is good since (a) I can hit some golf balls and (b) there are still new tv shows to watch and talk about (at least for a couple more days). Speaking of which...

I saw the other day that Jericho got cancelled. See CBS ends 'Jericho' in new schedule. My recent comments on Jericho should emphasize my disappointment in this turn of events, although with its ratings being mediocre at best, I am not that surprised.

It's a shame really because Jericho was probably one of the more unique and creative shows on television as of late. And for a network that is already struggling to bring up the rear in the ratings, they probably do need to cut their losses. Oh well. For me it will be one less show to get hooked into. And with 24 getting the boot from me as well, that frees up even more of my time to be spent on whatever clerkship type work I'll be working on.

What I really get a kick out of from CBS's announcement that Jericho got the ax are these humorous lines from the article:

"CBS' only new show that is heavily serialized, "Swingtown," will start in midseason and run uninterrupted until the end of the season. The series is set in the shag-carpeted 1970s, with Chicago-area couples navigating the sexual freedom of the era."

"To counter its stodgy image, CBS has scheduled a handful of edgy new shows for the fall: a drama about a vampire, a musical and a drama about a Cuban-American family running a sugar business in Florida."

I can state with absolute certainty that Swingtown will flop based on that description for wont of a target audience, a drama about a vampire will flop faster than that buffy show, a musical needs no commentary about its success on network television, and a drama about a sugar business in Florida will do as well as a drama about watching paint dry. If this is what they are banking on to get their ratings up, they must be operating in the bizarro world. Maybe it's time for the board of directors of Viacom or CBS to put the pressure on Les Moonves to open his golden parachute to make room for some new blood.

No comments: