Thursday, October 04, 2007

Sen. Craig debacle continues - but the Minnesota courts reject his claims

As it comes to no surprise (as I had indicated a few weeks earlier), the Minnesota courts rejected Senator Craig's attempt to withdraw his guilty plea. The opinion can be found here. Craig Motion to Withdraw Guilty Plea Denied. The opinion speaks for itself, but some of the more humorous lines include calling one of his arguments "illogical" and questioned the timing of his motion as being more politically-based than actually having merit.

I don't want to say that I called this one, but I did. What I find more funny (and disturbing) is how the distinguished gentlemen from Idaho, who originally announced his resignation, had the GOP back this up, then postponed it pending the withdrawal of his guilty plea, has now changed his mind yet again, and has decided to stay in the Senate after all, at least until he is voted out or thrown out. While I can't speak for his constituents back in Idaho or his fellow GOPers, I'm sure Sen. Craig can be confident that his opponents will be ringing this bell until the democratic process finally gets rid of him.

Maybe next, he'll decide to appeal it, which should make for much more entertaining and fruitless work for many. Regardless of when the affirmation of that appeal comes, if he decides to waste even more money, my comments on Sen. Craig will be finished with this entry.

No comments: