Wednesday, October 31, 2007

California wildfires have a culprit; hopefully his parents have good insurance...and lawyers

Since I mentioned this briefly last week, I saw on CNN this morning that some junior pyro has admitted to starting one of the California wilfires. See Juvenile admits starting fire that burned 38,000 acres. Maybe Gov. Schwarzenegger will grant him immunity.

Second, I saw that Latham is giving its clerks the same $50,000 signing bonus. Since I am in the midst of this whole process, I can state, definitively, that such bonuses are being taken into consideration. Particularly when they are paid, in full (after taxes), the day after your clerkship. The thing I am anxious to hear is how long you have to work in order to keep the bonus... I've heard between 1 and 2 years, but have not gotten a straight answer. Probably because most, including myself, are confident that they will be working for said BigLaw well past whatever this deadline purports to be.

If there are current second-year associates who just finished their clerkship last year and have started (although I suspect some are starting tomorrow), I am anxious to hear about the whole integration into the firm culture and how the clerkship has helped thus far.

No comments: