Wednesday, October 24, 2007

California Wildfires

There are probably ten entries I need to write about based on the events of the last week. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I get to tag along to a conference that will take me away from my precious internet and westlaw research for the next couple of days. It is not a conference in California, but since that's all the news is about nowadays, I thought I would express my sympathies toward the mass migration that is going on at the west coast. I hear that more people have had to temporarily evacuate than during Hurricane Katrina.

If this does turn out to be completely arson related, which is a sad commentary in itself, what remedy does anyone really have against this person or persons? I saw the government is offering a $50k reward, but how fast would that person or persons declare bankruptcy and shield themselves from any lawsuits the thousands of insurance companies would bring? Regardless, I see the wildfires as causing a bigger problem based in part of the subprime crisis currently dragging our economy through the mud.

While I have no understanding of the mortgage business other than what I saw on the news and learned in part in a couple property classes, I have no idea whether it's a safe assumption that the mortgage would be essentially subrogated to an insurance payout. Or are these two different things? If someone could point me in the direction of a site that actually explains this in layman's terms, that would be great. In the meantime, I guess all Chargers fans are going to have to hope that some Cardinal fans help fill the stands this weekend.

Also, what is it like over in California right now? I'm left only with limited commentary on the internet and Yahoo answers. Any west coasters that feel like commenting on the situation, feel free to contribute by posting a comment.

No comments: