Sunday, October 14, 2007

Behind the Scenes of an Appellate Court: Clerkship 101

Someone posted a question asking me to describe what my experience as a clerk has been so far. I think if you ask any clerk about their clerkship experience, you're going to get a different story every time. Obviously my story will get better as the year goes on, but I am happy to give my take on my first month of working behind the scenes of an appellate court.

Compared to working in a firm, the first big difference is that you aren't accountable for your time (for the most part). You have plenty of work to do to keep you busy, and obviously organization helps, but you can spend as little or as long as you want on an issue. As long as you get your assignments done on time, with everything perfect, you're doing great. So, in that sense, it is like doing work for a partner or associate; on the other, it's very academic. If you like that sort of thing, you should consider doing a clerkship for a year.

For federal clerkships, I know there is a real trend in working for two or three years before going applying or doing a district court clerkship first, but if you have strong credentials, you will still be fine and still have a good shot. Only about half of the people you'll work with who will be a little older (besides the secretaries and judges). For state clerkships, I think it's a little different, but from my friends who are clerks in state courts, most are right out of law school or clerked somewhere else for a year first. In either case, you will need to have a high GPA, be or have been on a law review, and have an ability to communicate why you want to be a clerk. Once you're in the door, and have accepted your offer, the question turns to this: What's it like to be a clerk? Here's my answer. I'm sure for trial court clerks, their answers would vary.

As far as the learning curve and workload, it all depends. The first month has had some long days, and some shorter days (no golfing days yet). I think the first thing you need to pick up quick is how your judge (and your court) writes. The easiest way to do that is to find opinions that have been previously written in the same area of law that you are working on. For novel things, I usually try and pattern other well-written opinions (or at least ones that seem to be well-written). The faster you can pick up on your judge's writing style, the faster you will get to the top of the curve. Of course, you'll always have to take the edits you are given and learn from them. I would say that it's a work in progress. As far as technical stuff, get used to using short, concise sentences in the active voice.

As far as whether I think I was prepared for the clerkship when it started, I would say I was. Of course, working as an articles editor certainly helped with the bluebook aspect of things, but each court has its own nuances that you have to pick up. For the most part, courts follow the bluebook, so I would make sure that you learn as much as you can from the senior members of your law review if you have any interest in clerking. Of course, there's probably a judge in the court that is far superior to you in editing and can help you out if need be.

Would I have done anything different so far? I think it's too early to tell. Personally, I'm pretty organized, so I can schedule my work day around my assignments fairly easily. Of course, you never know what comes up that needs to be taken care of, so you have to be able to switch gears at a moment's notice. You should also be nice to all the clerks and secretaries. They have been there longer than you, and will remember you if you're good, and even more if you're a jerk.

Is my judge easy to work with? Yes. The most important thing you are looking to get out of the clerkship is mentoring, so if you're personable, it should be easy to get along with most judges. Some judges are more personable than others though, so every clerkship will be different. I'm sure some judges are harder to work with than others, and that's the nature of the working world anyway. I think you just have to hope to luck out. For the most part, you should. One of the most rewarding things you'll get out of the clerkship is the conversations with the judge about the law.

Will you learn a lot? Absolutely. If anything, you'll get an appreciation for how the court thinks about things. You'll also see how ... diverse lawyer's writing styles are. I think you'll be, let's say, surprised at the range of briefs you'll get. You'll be a better writer by the end of your clerkship, that's a guarantee.

I think that's enough for now. The only other thing I would say is important is to get along with all your co-clerks. Dating them is another post for another day. Either way, they are in the same boat with you and pretty much the extent of your social circle for this year of your life.

I'm happy to write about any other questions. Post away.

3 comments:

Daddyx4 said...

Excellent post. I, too, was a clerk for a Federal judge. You are dead on about the need to befriend all staff and personnel. This can be invaluable in getting things done and making your stay at the court enjoyable.

As someone who did not join a journal, I found the experience a bit more taxing in the beginning. But my overall understanding of the Bluebook and my judge's writing style eventually provided the path to success.

Congratulations on your clerkship. I follow your posts and really enjoy the commentary.

Anonymous said...

Great post, thanks for responding to my questions! It's good to know that this journal stuff will actually be useful later.

How do you and your fellow clerks divide cases? Does the judge assign them or do you get to request work if it's something you're interested in, like summer associates?

I'm thinking about clerking because I'm attracted to the idea of having diversity of assignments. And hoping it'll help me decide what kind of law I want to practice.

ECL said...

I agree that being on a journal is not a requirement (although it is highly recommended), but it certainly helps with the learning curve.

The cases, at least for me, are really sort of thrown at you. It all depends on what is appealed, really. If you're interested in one thing, such as criminal law, there is obviously no shortage of work. For the various types of civil appeals, you just take the issues as you get them. It's hard to explain, and as much as I would love to use the quote "you know it when you see it" here, it's not quite what I'm trying to get at, but hopefully on the whole, my ramble makes sense.

Over the course of the month so far, I have certainly worked on very interesting things, and also very boring things. Hopefully that answers this part of your question. A lot also may depend on your co-clerks and your court/judge.

Clerking is good because it serves as a good transition either to firm life (or to public life as a USDA, AG/DA, PD, etc.), or as a transition the other way from firm life to something else, or to another jurisdiction (or so I'm told).

I think regardless of the way you approach it, clerking benefits your career (and subsequent practice) in incalculable ways. I haven't spoken to one clerk who doesn't say they regret clerking, or doesn't recommend it to others who have an interest in it. As I've stated before though, it's not for everybody.

I would suggest you carefully research the types of courts you'd like to work in, and even go beyond your state's borders to look. At this point of the application game, you probably are only left with trial court clerkships (but that's good also, don't get me wrong). Regardless of the court, I think that for a year, it's well worth exploring other parts of the country. You aren't going to save that much money nor are you going to make that much, but that's beside the point. I know plenty of clerks for whom the jurisdiction we are in isn't the one they are going to practice. You'll learn enough general practice tips that will translate over to wherever your career takes you after your clerkship.

This is turning into a longer response than I had anticipated, so maybe I will give this more thought and create another post on another day. Hope this helps.