Tuesday, October 16, 2007

NBC rewind has done a 180 from its previously poor quality

Edit: This entry has been overruled by a different entry. Read this for humor; read the newer one for the true perspective.

I've always liked NBC's programming (for the most part) and am glad that most of their shows are available online (if not all of them that I watch, as compared to the other networks that limit their selection for nonsensical reasons). In watching most of these shows (e.g., Heroes, Journeyman for another couple weeks, The Office, etc.), I've been quite vocal at times in my complaints regarding how NBC's efforts at online broadcasting have been less than stellar. My own internet research shows that I am not alone in this belief.

To recapitulate my complaint, I specifically made this comment on Oct. 6: "Fortunately or unfortunately, NBC again has failed to meet any reasonable expectations for the tech savvy generation of which I am a part. Similar to my complaints from last year, I can only simply voice my concern on the internet with their online entertainment division, and hope that the higher ups at GE hire somebody new." Based on my viewing of yesterday's Heroes episode, it appears that NBC finally took my advice to heart.

Quite surprisingly, NBC, in the course of one week, figured out how to distribute online media without sacrificing the costs of producing/broadcasting the shows (e.g., commercials). Yes, it's hard to believe. Basically, they have changed the commercial structure to emulate Youtube's viral video strategy. The spots are made specifically for the internet and (almost) completely tracked toward the timing of their placement during the show's timeline (as opposed to the previous commercials which were rebroadcasts of crummy regular commercials).

For example, the second to last spot says something to the effect of "Enjoy the final part of the show." Of course, they had one more after that, but at least they are attempting to compensate for their previous incompetence. These are short, non-intrusive commercials that do not change the volume or interrupt the feed of the show (other than the 30-second commercial itself). Additionally, there is only one commercial, at indicated times (as compared to NBC's pathetic attempt to throw multiple commercials at "non-scheduled" times in earlier rebroadcasts this season). I can't say that it will direct me to buy the product, but I'm sure this particular campaign should prove successful.

From a marketing perspective, however, I can state without reservation that this is the correct strategy for the current online market. Because of the nature of the commercial, the content and javascript directs the viewer to that sponsor's website and even employs a clever internet strategy in the process. I'm not going to give any lip service to this particular sponsor because they can pay me for advertising just as well as they can pay NBC, and they have not, so I will not. Nevertheless, I would venture to say that it is just a matter of time before the rest of the networks employ similar online commercial strategies. Of course, ABC has already figured out this tactic on similar grounds, so maybe NBC took my advice and hired someone who understands the internet medium a little better than the last person. Now if they will only listen to my product placement suggestions.

So, I will say that NBC's Rewind has gotten a little better. I'm not ready to give it a ringing endorsement, but it certainly is ten times better than it has been.

4 comments:

Silence DoGood said...

hmm, obviously you must have a super faster than cable connection.
Whenever I try to watch heroes on rewind, (2gb dual core computer with xp, i.e. it's just fine)

Rewind stutters
dies completely
pauses
and then forces me to start from the beginning.

i.e. if you think they've fixed the problems you are just blindly lucky. It's still a clue that they do not get it. You can't fast forward without triggering commercials every time you try.

ECL said...

I have had those same problems at times, but never that it dies completely. Sometimes I try it with Firefox and that seems to work better than with Explorer.

They aren't going to let you fast forward through the commercials; after all, they have to make money somehow. All of the networks have similar preventative measures to stop it. Your best bet is to take off your headphones.

What I dislike about NBC's setup versus ABC's is that if you want to rewind on NBC, you have to rewatch the stupid commercial again; on ABC, after the commercial, you don't have to watch them again.

You may want to try watching it at an off-peak time; that may affect the bandwidth. I won't try it again until this weekend when I watch the Office and My Name is Earl, so I'm not sure if I just lucked out or what.

ECL said...

And now NBC's rewind is back to it's normal crappy quality. In fact, two commericals again on top of that. I rescind everything in this particular entry that is positive about NBC's online entertainment division. NBC sucks.

ECL said...

This entry has been overruled.