Friday, October 05, 2007

PA results give a hint as to the national MBE curve

A couple of my friends from undegrad (and probably a couple from law school) took and passed the PA bar, so good for them. They told me that the statistics released from the PA board of bar examiners told what the national MBE scores were. And sure enough, they did. See July 2007 PA bar passage statistics. While this doesn't answer the question about what the raw average for the July 2007 MBE was, it does say that the mean MBE scaled score for the national testing group was 143.73. Similarly, the scaled range went from 78-188.2.

If 143.73 was the curved average, I am even more curious as to what the raw average was. As soon as I get some confirmation or some results from someone, I'll post it. Given that the MBE average post-PMBR lawsuit was 136.88 in February 2007 and 143.29 in July 2006, I would argue that one way to read this is that they curved the July exam upwards. Without knowing what the raw scores were yet, though, it's hard to say.

Like I said, as soon as I get some sort of real results (which, most likely, are still six weeks or so away), I'll post it. Feel free to post a comment, though, with more updated information. Regardless, I stand by my assertion that PMBR is not worth the time or expense.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would you argue July had been scaled upward? It's my understanding that Feb. MBE scores are normally lower than July scores.

ECL said...

You are right. I was trying to say that the February '07 and July '06 scores had to be scaled upward to be at the same average from the years past (prior to the PMBR lawsuit).

One of my friends reported that the curve for the July '07 MBE was 16 points. I think the averages for July '06/05 and July '07 would therefore be about the same, but without knowing what the curves were prior to the PMBR lawsuit, it's hard to say whether the curve was higher or lower. I suspect it was higher, but that is only because in one of the PMBR lectures, they said that the average curve over the past ten years was around 10 points, but ranged from 7-21. So what does all this mean? Not very much. Chances are if you passed the bar, you hit the national average.