Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Marion Jones returns her medals

I haven't really followed this story that much, but since the news can't seem to get enough of it, I figured I would add one thought to the mix that I haven't seen yet. See Marion Jones pleads guilty to lying to federal investigators about steroids. I find the whole timing issue very odd, and maybe it's just from not reading the stories that much. If this all took place from two or three years ago, why is she deciding to come clean now, after vehemently denying all of the allegations when the story was "hot?" I'm sure there's much to this story that isn't written. Regardless, I see her bigger problem as not being the loss of respect from fans, etc. or her name stricken from the record books. I see her problem with the federal perjury and obstruction of justice charges that could follow.

Of course, the promise to not pursue such penalties was probably part of her deal. And I recognize that prosecutors have to make deals all the time to get what they want. Take a look at that prosecutor that made the joker do push-ups last week in exchange for a dismissal (this is not his blog, but one that made a funny comment about it). See Defendant does pushups, charges against him dropped.

I really don't have a point to this other than to express my disappointment with the way this whole thing has gone down, primarily from a former athlete's perspective. I guess it's good that her integrity kicked in, albeit a little delayed, but at the same time, it cuts against the whole spirit of competition (I think). Perhaps I am being naive. One of my friends made a point about the Floyd Landis issue and said that the IOC penalties are much more strict than they are in, say, the NFL. If Landis was a football player, he would be suspended for the same steroids for a game or two. Although I think my friend is mistaken on the time and penalties (and I'm too lazy to go look them up), I think his point is on target. There is a double standard in the athletic world right now. And, as any second or third year law student is well aware, double standards are easy to exploit. I'm just anxious to see how this one plays out on the legal landscape.

No comments: