Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Transformers review - pretty cool

I have to admit that I didn't have any interest in seeing Transformers when I first saw the preview or heard about it a few months ago. But the newer previews hooked me, and since I had one more day left before I need to kick it into high gear and memorize about 60 (or 600) more things for the bar, I thought I would take a couple hours of my precious time and watch this 2 and a half hour long movie. It is well-worth the $10 and good enough to see in the theater for the action.

If you watched the show when you were a kid (or even if you didn't), it's a story of evil and good transforming robots who have taken their war to earth. (And for those who watched the cartoons, it's the same voices apparently). The good robots are the Autobots. The bad robots are the Decepticons (or something like that). Characters with cool names like "Optimus Prime" and "Megatron" battle it out on the big screen. The main human character is played by some kid who could have been anybody (sort of like Keanu Reeves in The Matrix - could have been played by anyone). And like the Matrix, this movie has even more non-stop action and even less plot. As I said, it's the robots that make this movie. If you own Hasbro stock, you should be very happy.

There is also a trailer in the beginning of the movie for some new J.J. Abrams movie coming out next year - somehow it forgot to say what the name of the movie is (or if it did, it certainly isn't memorable), so I had to look it up (Cloverfield). It doesn't look that good. I would hope they run a better trailer, but I'm pretty critical in this area, so it didn't hook me at all. I think it's some sort of slasher horror movie, but I can't really remember. Nice try J.J. - but you may be better off focusing on making Lost season 4 better. I will give you props for Mission Impossible III though (which isn't hard considering how bad the first two were).

Other than that, Transformers is pretty cool. The girl in the movie (Megan Fox) is pretty hot (good for Brian Austin Green of 90210 fame who is apparently engaged to her). While the movie may be geared toward the under-13 crowd in parts, there's enough action for all you twenty-somethings (or 30-somethings or bar-takers) to enjoy as well. At the very least, it's a good mindless action movie that will keep you distracted from thinking about the bar for a couple hours.

Compared with Die Hard 4 (see my review here), I liked Die Hard 4 a little better, even though the action seens are less ridiculous than they were in Die Hard 4. Same level of pointless action though, but with robots (Transformers). And that's what matters.

No comments: