Sunday, February 10, 2008

Media momentum and all eyes are on Clinton

I don't think it's any secret that the media is pretty biased (or at least my perception of them is pretty biased). Since I'm always trying to stay informed, I've been struggling lately with the media, much to the point that I'm about ready to disconnect my cable and rely solely on the internet and online television media (for the few remaining shows I watch anymore). However, since that is not overly realistic, I'll pose this project instead.

In order to promote my own goal for becoming informed, and hopefully make a point about how the public is really being informed these days, I'm going to test the following hypothesis:

Who are the self-proclaimed "major news" organizations pushing for? Are they both playing the left against each other or is it, in fact, unbiased? The answer may reveal whether there is or is not an argument that the general public is largely being misinformed - not by the coverage per se, but by the type of coverage.

For the next week, I'm going to write down the front headline of CNN, Drudge, Yahoo's Most popular, and whatever other online news website suggested to me to determine exactly where the tide of the media is turning to or for or against. Since I check the internet an average of four times a day (in the morning, during lunch, toward the end of work, and maybe once at night), I should have a fairly even baseline. I acknowledge the inaccuracy of my test upfront and how this could be an incredible waste of time. But, since nobody else seems to be writing about this, maybe it's worthwhile.

Predictions about what my results will be next week? Feel free to comment away. Am I missing a site? Let me know. I'll post my entry in a week from tonight.

2 comments:

Kalirati said...

I say you should take up your wager and unplug the tv. I think it would be entirely practical and educational too. I do agree, the media's hounds catch whatever scent their mogals wave before them.

ECL said...

I agree - and I have more thoughts on the bet which I'm probably going to write about later this month or next. Right now I think there are good and bad aspects to it that have arguments in equipoise. I'll give it some more thought though. Some of my initial impressions about it at least based on one of my co-clerks who actually has taken 'the no cable-except-for-internet challenge') are posted here. Nevertheless, I appreciate your thoughts - thanks for your post.