Sunday, February 10, 2008

Chinese democracy? Maybe in 2009 - athletes conform, or else

Just a quick note since I'm in the middle of finishing up a major brief reading session and needed a quick internet fix. I'll save my comments for the 2008 Beijing Olympics for when they get closer, but I saw on the Drudge wire that the Chinese government has required athletes not to comment about the Chinese society while they are over there. With the advent of cell phones and camera phone photos/videos/etc., I'm not sure how exactly they plan on holding these athletes accountable. I'm curious as to what the American athletes are being required to sign, if anything. I'll save my free speech commentary for another day, but the article should speak for itself. See Britain Kow Tows to China as Athletes are Forced to Sign No Criticism Contracts.

No comments: