Monday, February 04, 2008

LSAT correlation with law school performance and legal work = zero

One of my friends from high school has decided that law school may be worth the effort, despite my suggestions that he give it considerable consideration. Nevertheless, he told me a bit about his LSAT experience this past weekend, which brought up some humorous memories.

For those of you taking or who have recently taken the LSAT, again, let me point you to my advice regarding law school and add this point: performance on the LSAT has no correlation between legal work, the bar exam, or anything you'll ever do in law school. If you can read enough to take the test, and you have any sort of work ethic, the LSAT merely provides you with a starting place for your spot on the legal totem pole.

Of course, that's pretty sarcastic, even for me, but there is a certain grain of truth to it. Since I don't feel like getting into a debate about it, however, I'll simply comment on one part of the test that he told me about that reminded me about the bar exam. I thought I had written about it before, but I can't find it.

Like the LSAT, there is actually a writing aspect to the bar exam beyond the exam itself. As part of the verification process for the MBE, you have to write, in cursive, some statement that they can match to your handwriting. One of my friends pointed out that if these companies really want a writing sample, they should get you to print. I agree. The only thing I write in cursive is my name on a check, and to some degree, the numbers. Everything else is either printed or typed. Sort of makes third grade writing class all the worthwhile, right?

Anyway, what made me laugh and prompt this particular memory without the help of an electronic pulse, was that he said he couldn't remember how to make a cursive "I." I think I had the same feeling when the MBE asked me to write, "I, [my name], under penalty of death, do ordain to take this test." (or something to that effect.

This entry was a lot funnier in my mind on the drive home. I'll come up with something better later in the week.

No comments: