Sunday, September 09, 2007

Thoughts after the first week: Ready for retirement

Well, four days down now. Really six if you count the fact I had to do work yesterday and today. It's certainly interesting stuff. The trade-off is that I've already read almost a thousand pages of briefs and appendices. One of these days I may try and count up all the manpower and hours that go into any one case (criminal or civil) from start to finish. I'm sure it's staggering.

Once I got back to sit in front of my television for a few hours to watch football though, the fact that I don't have to worry about any long term tests (setting aside the bar bear for the time being), I must say that clerking/working is much better than law school and a good transition into firm work. If I don't feel like doing any more work for the day, I can stop. Of course it is still there tomorrow, but that's beside the point. Plus I feel like I'm actually making an impact on the legal world, so it's very rewarding in that sense, and I can work on something as long as I want without worrying about billing hours or using up precious Westlaw minutes. And for a bonus, I am guaranteed to piss one side with each and every one of my efforts.

And speaking of (not) being pissed off, my fantasy team did phenomenal this week. Plus I still have Carson Palmer to throw tomorrow, so my undefeated record should remain intact. Of course, if Dallas fumbles another return, I am going to flip out.

No comments: