Friday, September 07, 2007

Academy seeks injunction to stop Oscar statuette sale

I see that the Academy is filing suit to stop the sale of a late actress Mary Pickford's Oscar statuette. See Film Academy Sues to Stop Sale of Oscars. Apparently, when they give these trophies out, part of the actor's guild contract that makes them eligible to win an Academy Award contains a clause that has something to the effect of "giv[ing] the academy the first chance to buy Oscars for $10 each if they ever go on the market."

Now, I'm no contract or property law expert by any means, and I could only hope for something as interesting as this to expedite itself through one of our trial courts and make it to us. Of course, I would imagine that some west coast clerk will get this one since the article is out of Los Angeles. And then I would have to hope to come across some ambiguous blog entry about a pending entertainment case that has been reported on the news. It could happen. And I could win an Oscar also.

Based solely on the newspaper article, there probably is some merit to the Academy's argument, but without reading it, there's no way to gauge how strong it really is. I would imagine the counterargument is something to the effect of "winners keepers, losers weepers" and not "don't look a gift horse in the mouth." But then again, maybe in this case, they have to.

No comments: