Saturday, September 22, 2007

Kid Nation - eh, it was okay, but nothing to write home about

So I was able to catch the first episode of CBS's Kid Nation to see what all the hype was about. The show is sort of interesting, and has some funny parts, but I don't think it's really targeted toward the 18-49 audience. If I had to speculate, it probably hits high on the under 18 market, and 50+ market (basically, the older parents and grandparents of kids). For me, sitting well in the 18-49 range, I see it more as something I would have watched it on that Nickelodeon camp show when I was younger. I will not be watching it again.

Basically, the show is about 40 kids who have four preselected "council members" who range in age from 10-14. I would guess that 20 or 30 states are represented, and the kids' ages range from 8-15. Now, while it's certainly different in the adult world, I found it amusing that the 14 and 15 year olds wanted nothing to do with the little kid bosses who were obviously younger. As well they wouldn't; it would be like a high school student listening to a 5th grader.

The rest of the show just couldn't hold my attention. As much as I like to watch interactions between kid groups, there's a reason I didn't want to become an elementary teacher. But if you like that sort of thing, this show is probably for you. You'll like watching how the natural leaders evolve and how the appointed leaders quickly learn that you have to lead by example. And you'll see the typical assertions of male and female dominance. And the gold star thing? It's motivational, but kind of hokey. And you give it to the girl who decides to shirk her duties by dancing in the street for money to earn $3 for a bike? But hey, this is kids we're dealing with. I'm glad one of them knew himself well enough to get the heck out of there after three or four days. Good for him.

What parents would send their kids to this "extreme" camp, just to get on tv? That's what I want to know.

No comments: