Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Joker sues Jeff Gordon for $22 billion

I must have had twenty clerks from at least as many states forward this to me today, so I'm sure it's already spread across the clerkship universe like wildfire. Nevertheless, this is got to be among the top ten funniest pro se lawsuits to be filed in a long while. I can only hope Letterman picks this up (or Leno) and can get this guy on the air. I actually heard it first on the radio on the way to work, but the complaint speaks for itself. See the precursor to something lesser than a 12(b)(6) motion in Riches v. Gordon suit for "recklessly driving my life crazy."

I did find a couple other bloggers who have written about it and are much more informed as to the other (ahem) frivolous suits this guy has brought. See Riches v. Gordon and also Inmate Sues Jeff Gordon.

The relief sought is $22 billion and the #24 car. I don't want to spoil all the laughter, but you can read it for yourself. Unfortunately, this one is destined for somewhere other than the appellate courts, but it still is pretty funny. I can only hope that the clerk in North Carolina (or more likely, a staff attorney) posts something funny about it once it is kicked. Until that point, we're just stuck with my armchair observation about it.

In the meantime, I wait to see how today's half-point rate cut affects my student loans. All signs point to less interest payments. Fantastic.

2 comments:

James W. Weirick said...

Thanks for the ping. Good luck with the clerkship. Also, if you have another JLR (though there could only be one) filing motions in your court you will have to share the complaints.

yojoe

ECL said...

This isn't in my court. I think it's in the district court of North or South Carolina, but I'm not 100% sure. I also heard that he filed another lawsuit against Martha Stewart. An article about it can be found here. I found an entry about it on another blog as well, and that entry can be found here.