Friday, October 27, 2006

Heroes: Review of Hiro's

I got to watch this episode on NBC's "Rewind" - at least with NBC's version of online digital media, the commercials are the same volume as (if not lower than) the show (cf. CBS's innertube). Thumbs up to NBC for that. And the commercials are only 10 seconds, leaving them free to continue their product placement endeavors without major incident. Speaking of incidents, I appreciate the acknowledgement of a "rift" to combat my earlier complaint of the philosophical paradox previously discussed.

The whole memory erasing thing has me a little confused; one of my friends says it's akin to being able to steal their powers somehow and the real enemy is a conglomerate of them all. I don't know if he's right or not. In either case, tonight's episode "Hiro's" continued last week's coming together theme. The best scene was putting Hiro and Nathan (the other flying brother) together in the first few minutes.

I'm not sure if "there're" is a proper contraction or not (subtitle reference), but that's just my editorial grammar sense kicking in. The struggle between Niki and Ikin continues, and it appears Ikin can come and go as she wants. I'm still not impressed with her character and it's storyline but maybe she's an integral character to the long-term plot. Good to see the cop who can hear thoughts is using them to advance his relationships; according to a recent study, this use of power is at least realistic. Now all he has to do is learn to control it; at least Mel Gibson's power was limited to women's thoughts.

The guy who can block out memories - similarly; I'm not exactly sure what their end game is, but at least things are happening. Not sure why they are arbitrarily taking some long term and some short term memory, but I'm sure they will explain it. It appears that the heroes' powers get stronger as they come together, so there's another possible glimpse into the future. I'm not sure if a new episode is on next week or not but I don't think we're quite into the rerun zone yet so maybe we'll get that sixth episode in so I can officially concede that I will continue watching it a little while longer.

No comments: