Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The media's hate for the economy and how Tom Brady has decided to attack it

Just a quick note on how I am continually amazed at the level of negative press that is given about anything remotely related to the economy. It's borderline of a test to see how influential the current media market is, with the theory being that if by scaring people into thinking that a depression or recession is inevitable, it will actually happen. Are they that desperate to sell newspapers? And who is this "they" that hates the economy so much?

Anyway, since bad news sells news nowadays, I saw that some astute paparazzi photographed Patriots quarterback Tom Brady wearing a walking cast. See Video Reveals Secret Brady Injury. Now, I know that when I was an athlete, I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly wouldn't rule out doing something like that merely to psych out my opponents and get them to underestimate me a bit. And, knowing that this sort of gag would get gobbled up by the press, it wouldn't be too hard to make sure that someone would catch it and exploit it. It certainly appears that that is the case.

Now, maybe it's real, and I'm sure he'll make his way through it. But in the same way that the media believes that this subprime mess will usher in the age of the euro, they sure appear to be pushing the negative idea that the Patriots shouldn't win. Am I the only one who is getting sick of this fear campaign (across the board, not just in sports or regarding the economy)? Who is orchestrating it?

Of course, I clicked on the article, which undoubtedly garnered revenue for someone somewhere, but what can you do. Further, I can't complain too much about this most recent rate cut since it will undoubtedly have a positive effect on my student interest rate. Nevertheless, I still find the overwhelmingly negative press coverage (for just about everything nowadays) a little disturbing.

No comments: