Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Hawkeye State: One of these lawyers are going to win

Well, considering that Senators Obama, Clinton, Edwards, and Biden are all lawyers, the only thing for sure that we'll know tomorrow is that the Democratic frontrunner, at least as claimed by a few Iowans, will be a lawyer. Yay law! (I don't think Gov. Richardson is a lawyer, however, but I think he's got as good a shot as Sen. Biden, so I'll take that action).

I tried to do a quick google search to figure out why Iowa is so important to the democratic process. I did find one older article about how they conduct their "caucuses," which I guess is fairly unique to the Hawkeye State, but nothing that really explains why I should care about what a bunch of midwestern Democrats think. Isn't this whole primary process a little archaic in itself? For that matter, isn't the idea of campaigning for president two to four years in advance even tackier?

Like the President, I'm not going to lose sleep over this thing. I'm sure it will be all over the news tomorrow anyway with all but three or four (both Ds & Rs) calling it an election. After all, there's absolutely nothing I can do about how this one plays out, and again, why everyone is so keyed in on what the state of Iowa thinks remains a mystery to me.

If you know however, please feel free to post relevant links and commentary. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is befuddled about the importance of Iowa.

No comments: