Sunday, June 17, 2007

Pirates part 3 and the un-disney like message it sends in the end

I saw the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie the other night. For a Disney movie, it was fairly violent. And long. It wasn't as good as the original, and if you have already seen the second, it all works out (sort of) in the end, so it's what you would expect and not really that great to go see in the theatres. The rest of this review would only make sense if you've seen the movie. If you want to see my comments about the last hidden scene (after the credits), you can click here.

Two things I didn't like about it, considering it's a kid's disney movie. Why did Orlando Bloom's character have to be the one who took over for Davy Jones? Seems sort of dumb. I thought that Jack Sparrow's "piece of eight" was something else and he was going to pull off a similar stunt to what he did in the original, so he would release Calypso.

I was expecting a little more out of the Calypso character than her turning into a giant and then making it rain. Very lame, even for Disney.

And the whole wedding thing was kind of hokey, but what I would expect from a Disney movie. I suppose it justifies the presumed sex scene toward the end. What I didn't like though was the fact that the movie appears to promote the idea of fathers leaving their kids behind for their job. This has to do with the final scene in the end, if you sit through at least another additional ten minutes of credits. There you see it is "ten years later" and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightly) and presumably his kid are waiting on the cliff and sure enough he pops up from the horizon. Give me a a break. As an adult, I know it's just a movie, but I just don't know what kind of message this would send to a little kid watching that movie. As I said, it seems pretty un-Disney like. I can only hope that these parents would use it to explain that it's just a movie, and you shouldn't abandon your kids or take responsibility for your actions or something.

So, this movie wasted 3 hours of my valuable time and was not worth the ten dollar ticket for admission. If you're going to suffer through it, wait for HBO or ABC to run it. You won't miss anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i noticed not many people are commenting on your site. i'm reading it regularly. makes me feel better knowing that someone else feels like the PMBR questions are b.s.

ECL said...

Thanks, I appreciate your comments - I'm not sure why more people don't comment either. I did notice that if you search "PMBR" or "pmbr sucks" on google, mine is like the fourth or fifth site that pops up, so obviously we aren't alone in our sentiments.

Maybe I just have to get listed on the blog list at Above the Law and that would draw a much bigger and chattier crowd. If you can figure out how to submit it, go for it.