Saturday, June 16, 2007

Multiple choice questions continue to ruin my days

That's a bit of an overstatement, but I can't begin to explain how frustrating some of these questions are sometimes. From those in the course who I'm friends with or just in general, the feeling is mutual. At least I'm not the only one who finds PMBR's explanations completely worthless. For the questions that have two right answers, I say to PMBR, the real test doesn't intend to have two right answers and if it does, it's a matter of statistical anomaly, so why would you perpetuate this by putting such a question in the book?

Regardless, I've heard people who get 40/50 right, 10/50 right, half right and everything in between. I figure you need roughly 70% to pass (and, depending on your jurisdiction, a little more or less) after the curve (which you shouldn't bank on as being that significant), and that means you need about 35 or so right out of 50 BY THE END. I also think that some of PMBR's answers are wrong, and I'm not the only one, so I try not to let their fallacies piss me off too much. I also heard that PMBR expects you to shoot for 115/200 on their 3-day PMBR test, so I guess when that happens I'll see whether I'm in the meaty part of the curve or somewhere else.

My last complaint about PMBR deals with their use of air quotes in answers. They accomplish nothing. I've seen enough standardized tests to know that they put them in, but they are completely worthless. If anything, they are distracting because they make the sentence read as if the quotes actually mean something, which they do not.

I think I'm going to waste some time movie hopping. I certainly am looking forward to Die Hard 4, just to see some gratuitous violence and shoot-em-up-kill-em action on the big screen. It certainly will be more entertaining than doing multiple choice problems.

No comments: