Saturday, June 09, 2007

Hilton final comments with a tie to invasion of privacy, maybe

I have commented more than necessary on this Hilton mess. See my last entry for one such example. What's going to happen the next time she is pulled over for DUI and the minimum sentence is six months?

I think what bothers me about this case isn't that she got a valid sentence or that the media is making such a big deal out of it when there are bigger problems going on in the world, but with how the justice system is being portrayed. If anything, the media's cries that a double standard exists in California may have some merit.

Beyond all of this, who is telling this sheriff to give a press conference to explain his actions? And why would he possibly announce to the world that she is being released for some "mental condition?" Seems that's a little more pregnant of a response than say, for an "undisclosed medical condition" or "for reasons of privacy, I cannot reveal." Implying that's she's crazy seems to be borderline invasion of privacy, but again, I don't know what California's laws are and nor do I care. Maybe it's the truth, but I didn't think that was a defense to that tort.

In my humble opinion, the smarter move for him to do is to shut his trap, say "no comment," and move on. Speaking of which, time to do some reading.

No comments: