Sunday, April 06, 2008

Attorneys generally are quite ready to pump themselves up

I do have more relevant and timely topics to talk about, I just have to get the time to talk about them. I have noticed, however, that many attorneys, upon finding out that you are (a) either a law clerk, (b) have worked as a clerk, (c) have an interest in law, or (d) have ears, are more than willing to monopolize a conversation about themselves and their accomplishments. It's rather amusing.

The conversations, at least in my experience, trend along this path: "Hi, I am X, I work at X Firm in the X Department. (Bridge segway to shift conversation about X topic to them). You are interested in (X topic) also? Let me tell you about this time I created a derivation of sliced bread about X topic. I, I, I, me, me, me, the judge, the other party, I, I, I, I. Nice talking to you."

It's not good or bad and the level of annoyance varies, but there certainly is a trend of talking. Myself having accomplished very little, I tend to simply listen and take it in. I haven't been overly successful in being able to shift the topic to something about myself or baseball or something else but maybe that comes with time. Is this just me or have I just wandered into conversations with a certain type of lawyer? How do others deal with these encounters, besides simply being polite?

No comments: