Wednesday, April 09, 2008

AA starts to fly south, will dissenting shareholders skybus back?

I have no idea whether AA is publicly or privately owned, but with all of Wall Street shaking on Bear Stearns, subprime mortgages and other messes, I can only imagine the types of litigation brewing in the airline industry (and particularly AA given that flights are being cancelled left and right). And I don't mean crying over spilled coffee or scantily clad airline personnel or passengers (or airlines). I saw on the WSJ Law Blog the other day that during these tougher economic times, it's the lawyers who survive, so maybe our profession is heading into a bull market. Let's hope so.

And I also heard today that there's a plan for some sort of emergency cell phone system. See Nationwide Cellphone Alert System in Works. See also FCC to Propose Emergency Text Messaging System. I remember how annoying the "tests of the emergency broadcasting system" are when they interrupt a television show with an obnoxious and loud screech and beeps.

Now, I wasn't in New York on September 11, so I don't know if something came across the EBS then, but I can just see how potentially bad this idea is if cell phones are going to start beeping incessantly for 40 or 50 seconds during these monthly "tests." And if everybody's phone is going off at once, I can see patience for the Cellphone Emergency Broadcast System wearing out even quicker. But I'm sure it serves a greater economic purpose on some level that warrants its inclusion into our already saturated airwaves.

And to complete the trifecta of legal news saturating the AP wire today, the ad wizards at Microsoft-Yahoo-Google continue to duke it out. See Yahoo/Google Deal is Anti-Competitive says Microsoft.

Enough ranting for now, I have to read some briefs.

No comments: