Thursday, November 08, 2007

Some thoughts on national issues

One of my non-legal friends and I were talking yesterday about the state of world affairs. While the range of topics ran the gambit, the one thing that he mentioned that I had not thought of dealt with this passport requirement for Canada. His argument is that it is a precursor to a draft. His basis for this assumption is that during Vietnam, many now prominent Americans fled to Canada to avoid it. By creating a passport requirement, it virtually ensures that "the same mistake won't be made twice." He also thinks that we went into Iraq so that we would have a presence around Iran and the WMD threat and Hussein were merely secondary issues despite what was reported at the time. Since these are interesting points, I thought I would turn to whoever stumbles across this and see if there is any merit to any of these arguments, or at least spark an interesting debate.

Personally, I find these points to be both interesting and disturbing if the assumption can be accurately given. Obviously there is a rational basis for this requirement, and the threats on national security are certainly real enough. But I wonder why the media hasn't thought of this requirement on this dual purpose perspective like my friend obviously had? Feel free to post a comment and maybe someone who is actually in a position to investigate the issue further happens across the debate and does some real reporting on it. And, if the media stumbles across this blog (and if I ever get my link added to Above the Law), maybe I'll become the next David Lat, minus the tabloid elements to his blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I had thought the same thing myself in regarding putting a prescence near Iran. After all, we have already established a presence directly to the West of Iran (Afghanistan); and Iran's Northern neighbors are either hostile to Iran (because of the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan) or Pro-American (due to the Iron Curtain falling--many ex communist countries became pro-US--see Poland, for one example).

however, I do think there was honest belief that Iraq posed a threat. After all, Britain, France, Germany, Russia, and Italy all believed, through their separate intelligence, that Iraq was a biological and/or threat--it's just Germany, France, and Russia opposed invasion , but they did believe it.

Certainly containing Iran was a motive, but one of many. Establishing a foot print in the mideast, taking out a genocidal dictator, hunting out believed terrorist connections, and allaying pro-business concerns all weighed on the administration.

But I wonder about another as yet unnamed issue--namely, to create a place outside America where the terrorists would flock? Think about it: if you hated America pre-Iraq invasion, you most likely wanted to bomb the US mainland. Embassy bombings just don't generate the kind of coverage a homesoil one does. But after Iraq, if you wanted a chance at scores of Americans, you could do so much closer to most terrorists homes, and still have negative effects on America.

So I think the war, on some motive level, is to do just that--create a space off of the North American continent to attract America/Western terrorists. After all, hasn't Bin Laden stated in his tapes that "Iraq" is where the Holy War begins? I think his message is playing into American hands.