Saturday, November 17, 2007

Has the media given any thought to the possibility that the Republicans can sweep in '08?

It is no secret that the media is pretty liberal. Even some of my thoughts are pretty liberal. I'll refrain from my thoughts of where the political parties have spun to for now, but it strikes me that this song and dance about political plants and pre-ordained questions happened in 2004 (and 2000, 1988, 1984, etc.). The fact it simply gets more press now just goes to expose the bias of the mainstream media.

For example, Drudge has reported several times as of late on the hired guns by Senator Clinton at the last debate. The most recent one gives me pause. See "'Diamonds v. Pearls' Student Blasts CNN." Now, I'm not knocking the question or how this process plays out on a day-to-day or debate-to-debate basis. My pause arrives from how the media is spinning this whole process.

It seems to me that the over-reporting of these early debates may be playing into the Republican machine's hand. And I just wonder at what point the Republicans are going to start rallying behind one person and use the discord among the Dems to focus their campaign. The same thing happened in 2004. If you remember, shortly after Sen. Kerry got the nomination, there was a brief pause in support before the Democratic party rallied around him. The Republicans, by contrast, were unified and lock step behind President Bush. I distinctly remember this article, but the only one that I can find that comes close to supporting my point is from the Intellectual Conservative: Why Kerry is Winning the Democratic Nomination. In reading that article, I can't help but wonder if the same story is playing out this go round. And if so, are the Republicans simply waiting in the wings to exploit this back and forth again?

This post doesn't seem to have a point other than I am beginning to think that neither Clinton nor Obama can pull off a victory as president. And if Edwards wins, I will have to see what happens. And maybe there's a fourth candidate that is going to pull out and surge past any of those three. In any case, I just wonder who would be vice president. Yet, given all of this, if the Republicans come through next year and lead for another four years, how will the rest of the world react? I don't think there's a clear answer yet either way.

1 comment:

ECL said...

I see that Reuters has picked up on my suggestion: See New Poll Shows Clinton Trails Top 2008 Republicans. (Drudge's headline was "Can She Beat Them?" (and then the article name). Dust is starting to fly as the real debates are drawing nearer.