Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Pelosi going to Iran? Now we're just getting ridiculous

Coincidentally in concurrence with my commentary this morning regarding her trip to Syria, Rep. Pelosi has now announced that she intends to travel to Iran in order to open a dialog with them. See Pelosi, Lantos may be interested in diplomatic trip to Iran. Because nothing has changed in the twelve or so hours since I posted my entry, I stand by my original assertion that her actions, as they have been described by online sources, constitute an unconstitutional overstepping of her authority as Speaker of the House. If President Bush had appointed her to his Cabinet as Secretary of State or something, that would be his prerogative to send her over there to discuss policy because that's the function of the executive. But since she is a member of the legislative branch, I am open to someone pointing out how this isn't a separation of powers violation. I know Gonzales has been feeling the heat from quickly written emails, but maybe it's time to regulate.

And in more interesting news, MySpace postings enjoy first amendment protections. I wonder how long before those limits are tested.

No comments: