Monday, February 19, 2007

Sirius and XM announce merger

As I predicted in my new year's predictions posts for 2007, Sirius and XM have announced plans to merge, which will be great for the consumer market for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is now everyone who buys into satellite can hear it all without having to choose one platform over the other. Although this merger may have some monopolistic effects, I find it more similar to cable, and since there really is only one cable company (pay-tv) of any significance and nobody seems to cry monopoly, I don't see how pay-radio can really be any different. Other than the feds, I can only hope that there aren't any shareholder derivative suits that would work to hinder this effort.

Between this and Britney Spears having a Sinead O'Connor or G.I. Jane-esque moment, reporters across the world must be having a field week.

No comments: