Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The New $1 coin

I was paying for parking today and the machine usually dispenses Sacajawea dollars as change. To my surprise, when I got home, I had two George Washington $1 coins.

Other than the picture and the back, they are pretty much identical in color and shape to the Sacajawea dollar, meaning it is yellow and slightly bigger than a quarter (not much different than the Susan B. Anthony dollar disaster from a couple decades ago). On the whole, I like the concept of a dollar coin, but I don't like the concept of it being so small. If I had my way, it would be the same oversize as the Ike dollar, which, as one of my friends puts it, "feels like a dollar." If I were to throw the new G.W. dollar at you and it hit you, you would cry battery and think you were hit with a quarter. If I were to throw an Ike dollar at you, you would know you were hit by a dollar. Inconvenience of size aside, I'm sure George (who is already the king of yard sales by virtue of being on the dollar bill and quarter) would appreciate his dollar coin being a little bigger.

Just my hundred cents...

No comments: