Thursday, November 23, 2006

Borat movie not as funny the second time

I was at home for Thanksgiving and one of my friends had not seen the Borat movie so we went to see it. Having had time to absorb all the media attention the movie has gotten, I can safely reevaluate my review and present a more objective stance. First, it definitely has funny scenes and they remain funny the second time around. Second, the movie appears much more staged than I noticed the first time around. Third, knowing how they set up many of the "interviews" made it less funny. So, it does not have the retention humor of a movie like What about Bob or Austin Powers, and I reiterate my earlier review that it is a well done satire.

That being said, it isn't that good a movie, but the subtitles certainly make it funnier. I rewatched the scene with the Chi Psi brothers, who appeared even stupider the second time around, which reinforces my idea that they absolutely have no case unless Fox studios simply has a moron for a lawyer who drew up their release form.

Catch the movie on HBO if you've heard anything about the movie, otherwise you will be overly set-up for disappointment. It's been overhyped at this point. By the time it gets to HBO, you can sit back and enjoy it for what it is - an extended bit from the Ali G show, which has exceptionally funny scenes surrounded by lots of shots of him driving around in an ice cream truck.

Conclusion: Funny movie, it can't be in the top funniest movies of all time since it doesn't have much repeatable humor, but it certainly is the funniest movie out this year or in the past few years.

Tags:

No comments: