Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Heroes: Nothing to Hide review

I watched Heroes 7th episode, "Nothing to Hide" last night, and I have to say the show is losing me again. Apparently they have shifted back into character-cross mode, which I'll admit has merit to the extent that it must be building toward their mid-season or season finale (assuming a 24 episode season, next week's episode should complete the first of the three "acts" of a drama's season-premise). On the other hand, and more to the point, however, NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. Now, I can't say too much because Lost in a lot of ways has the same problems at times, but unlike Lost, Heroes just isn't advancing the plot fast enough, in my opinion anyway.

Take last night's episode. Setting aside the fact that these new mutations have absolutely no basis in genetic evolutionary theory (e.g., guy who can walk through walls' kid being able to manipulate computers with his hands or the radioactive man), I just am unable to grasp how this merry band of mutants is going to be able to set aside their whiney, self-promoting personalities and unite for good. They have the flying politician brother and Niki/Ikin trying to band together, and they seem to be able to cross Hiro with just about all the central characters now, and next week the Agent is supposed to meet with the painter to talk about the cheerleader. And on top of that, the little kid has powers (as suspected) and apparently he has known about Ikin all along.

Now, maybe this will change over the next couple episodes, but I don't think that it will. This show is taking the brooding, reluctant hero theme to a whole other level. Accepting that, I want to see some real action. The play has been set up, it's time to move to the next act. I thought episode seven (last night's episode) was going to do it, now I get to hold my breath for another week to see if episode eight does the trick. I will give this show some credit for being able to get me to continue watching it week in and week out, but I know I can't be the only one who finds this show getting increasingly slower-paced. Hopefully next week adequately shifts gears and brings the show up to the speed to which I hope it can top out at. If not, 24 will be on opposite it soon enough.

Regarding cross-over powers and the ability to adapt on another writer's creativity (without stepping on toes too much), the kid's ability to manipulate computers and machines was done first in D.A.R.Y.L., but the kid there was a robot, and I don't think the powers are exactly the same, so I will give a plus for creativity. How that power (and walking through walls, or Radioactive Man's abilities) fit on the evolutionary ladder, however, continues to elude me.

No comments: