Wednesday, July 16, 2008

JibJab posts a new ad

As any reader of this blog can figure out after a few entries, I appreciate intelligent humor above most other things that make me laugh (although I freely admit that I find many more things funny now than I did a few years ago). I speculated last year on the growth of user-generated content on the internet and its effect on political campaigns and the public generally. See User Generated Content and its Effect on the Political Hemisphere.

Well, sure enough, those clever cartoonists at JibJab have waded into the water again. Be sure to check out (if you haven't already), the newest spoof: Election 2008: Time For Some Campaignin'. The original Bush-Kerry "This Land" spoof is also available here. (The links take some time, probably due to increased bandwidth from today's release - but be patient).

CNN also has a condensed link in its report about it, which should be active for a few weeks anyway.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm taking the bar exam in 10 days. I got a 149/200 on the first BarBri exam and a 139/200 on the second BarBri exam in the volume 2 book. I blew off the PMBR 3 day exam, largely because of your comments about the course last year and my scores on the other two exams.

Did you find the BarBri exams to be fairly representative of the actual MBE or, at least, were your scores on the practice exams similar to your score on the real thing?

Thanks for the info!

ECL said...

I think if you're in the position (especially 10 days out) where you feel comfortable in your MBE skills, your decision was probably the right one. In the end, it's your choice how to spend your time, and I remember thinking it odd that PMBR would attempt to schedule their faux exam so close to the finish where it would have the real potential to (wrongly) mess with people's minds.

My scores on BarBri were always higher than PMBR and my real score (if I remember correctly) was in the high 150s or low 160s, which was about where I had been testing in the practice questions.

I wrote up my thoughts on the Barbri exams after the MBE, so I will defer to those comments since they were much closer in time. In the end, you have to know the law regardless of how you've been testing. I do remember that Barbri was more representative because each of the 200 questions were single fact patterns and not multiple ones like in the SAT or PMBR. At least that's how it was last year, I can't speak to any other year or this year, but you probably have a better idea than me.

Study your outlines and keep doing a mixture of a few Barbri questions each day and take the day before off. You could always spread out the PMBR 3-day questions over a seven day period, but I also wouldn't worry about it too much if your scores increase or decrease one way or the other. If you're scoring in the 150s in the practice, you are probably in good shape. If you're in the low 120s, you're probably still in okay shape. There's no way of guessing though - if you know yourself, then you should know your confidence level, and from what you wrote, you seem to have your study habits set pretty well.

In the end, the bar exam is just a test of minimal competence and if you had a decent GPA and study habits in law school, you more than likely have been studying your ass off this summer and it will pay off when you walk into the exam. Good luck!