Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Any former basketball player realizes the point when the game is over, so why can't Clinton do the same?

As promised, I have not bothered to spend much time thinking about this election since my numbers suggested that the delegate game and debate over who has a better shot of beating McCain has long been over. (I also note that at least one website has come up with similar projection numbers without any credit to anyone... and I remember seeing something similar on NBC a few weeks ago, which i can't find right now, but didn't give it much thought. I found another blog that seems to have the same prediction though). On that point, I figure it's only a matter of time before someone at CNN or Fox News analyzes why my projection estimates are any better or worse than theirs.

Anyway, the numbers, regardless of how Indiana ends tonight, simply don't favor Sen. Clinton. Although Clinton may have implicitly adopted Yogi Berra's "it ain't over till it's over" mentality, the shot clock has wound down and the likelihood of coming back from such a deficit is beyond arrogance. I liken her chances at this point to be about as good as a 15 seed upsetting a 2 seeds (and if Obama wins Indiana, a 16 seed over a 1 seed).

A basketball coach would tell his team to stop fouling at this point; someone should clue in Sen. Clinton that the time has come to start campaigning for her opponent. Who will it be and who does she want it to be may be two different things.

In a somewhat related piece of political humor, I thought the Limbaugh anecdote about President Clinton hitting on his date was sort of funny. See Limbaugh - Bill Clinton Hit on My Date (recounting when "[Clinton] came over three or four times. He had [entrepreneur and Democratic fundraiser] Ron Burkle with him and the mayor of Los Angeles . . . He [the mayor] was going on and on about how he loved me and had to talk to me and after about a minute of talking to the mayor of Los Angeles I glanced to my left and Bill Clinton’s face is three inches away from my date").


No comments: