Sunday, March 04, 2007

Daylights savings Y2K7

I'm sure this will become more prevalent next week, but nobody should be surprised when something goofs up with their computer when the new daylights savings "spring forward" takes place next week. Call it a new Y2k problem - or as some have begun to call it, the Y2K7 problem. I was going to write about this a couple of days ago but was busy. Now someone else has slightly beat me to the punch of coining the phrase. Oh well. See, e.g., Earlier Date for Springing Forward May Lead to 'Mini Y2k.'

Regardless, I don't think there will be too much stuff that will goof up, except I foresee some problems with calendars and flight data being lost or misscheduled. Hopefully I will be wrong. At least with daylights savings time always on a Sunday, it shouldn't mess things up too much, and at most, it will only mess up for a couple of weeks until the rest of the computers come into focus with the new calendar. And if it's anything like the Y2K bug, it should only cause a few glitches.

No comments: