Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Another bluebook clarification: per se should be unitalicized

Continuing with my previous bluebook entries, this one is pretty quick. Would "per se" qualify as a commonly used Latin phrase such that it would not be italicized under Rule 7(b)?

I'm pretty sure I've seen it both ways, and courts/lawyers/students are all over the place. I would argue that "per se" should be added to the list of unitalized Latin phrases, particularly if "de jure" and "en banc" are on it. I think per se is equally as common as, if not more so than, both of those words.

Just my vote. I'm going to keep it unitalicized and hope it makes it to the "official" list in the next version. Thank goodness "i.e." finally did; (now if only I didn't have to point this out to those who love to see i.e. italicized, I would be one happy bluebooker).

No comments: