Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Clinton announces her bid for the oval office

Unsurprisingly, Hillary Clinton has announced her bid for the presidency in '08. Other than her name and general politics, I am probably as informed about her as the rest of the general public. Nevertheless, I don't think she will win (not that a woman could not lead this country), and my reasons are quite simple.

If she were to win, that would mean that two families will have run this country since 1988 (over twenty years by her second year in office) and have been at least in a position of power (meaning second in line) since 1980 (almost thirty years by her last year in office). It seems to me that we're still living in a democracy and not an oligopoly or pseudo-kingdom, which is what would effectively happen if she won. Timewise, you could make the argument that the Roosevelt family did the same thing, and I don't dispute that other than say it's a different time with different amendments. I can't be the only person who's thought of this potential concern, and consequently, I would think a general discomfort with this idea will play into the minds of many voters. Or not, we'll just have to see how the media backs her.

No comments: