Sunday, August 27, 2006

Beerfest: if you like bad movies, this one is for you

Today is August 27. Last light I watched the movie Beerfest . As you might expect, this movie creates an overwhelming desire to drink beer. Unfortunately the bars were closed by the time the movie was over. It is not as funny as Super Troopers and obviously better than Club Dread. Pretty much the cast of Super Troopers comes back, so there are definitely some funny lines. I can’t remember any of them though, although I’m sure they will show up on the internet after awhile. The only one I vaguely remember is “5 boots, are you crazy?” but you have to see it in context to find this funny. Overall though, I thought it was pretty bad. If you liked Wet Hot American Summer, though, you will probably like this movie. In the list of recent movies I have seen, it ranks below Talledega Nights, which ranked below Lady in the Water, which ranked even with Pirates 2 for different reasons which will be explained in another entry for another day.

There was a preview for some Jack Nicolson movie, which reminded me that they are making a sequel to Batman Begins. Generally, I have grown leary of sequels or prequels, with the exception of Terminator 2, the Back to the Future movies, and the Indiana Jones movies. After suffering through two or three summers of waiting through the rumors, I believe that Indiana Jones 4 is coming out in Summer 2007, although now it looks like they have pushed back release until 2008. Supposedly it is going to take place about 15 or 20 years (or however long it has been since the last one came out) so I’m not sure if he’s going to be fighting the Nazis in South America or the Communists. Who cares, it’s going to be great (note the high expectations I have for this movie).

Anyway, Batman: The first one with Michael Keaton is the best one. The next one was pretty good and then it just went downhill from there. But, I give Batman Begins the credit it deserves since it tried to expand on the story from the flashback scene in the first movie. Of course, to completely distinguish Batman Begins from the old movies, they changed how Bruce Wayne’s parents were killed (which from what I have read is different from the comics anyway), so that’s not a big deal. Good for them. But why would you remake the Joker story? I see it as a slap in the face to Jack Nicolson and Tim Burton and if I were them, I would be irked (I used irked because Jack Nicholson – he won’t really be pissed). They cast Heath Ledger as the Joker. At first I thought this was some sort of joke, since I remember him from the Revolutionary War movie and some high school movie he was in and I don’t see him fitting the part. If only Marvel and DC could temporarily unite and make some sort of cross-over movie, people would go see that. Think of it like the old Grudgematches from a few years ago or Celebrity Deathmatch.

Anyway, I predict that the next Batman movie will fare well the first week or two and then drop off, and this is without knowing anything but that it’s another sequel and a modified version of the first Batman movie, which is good enough. The first Pirates of the Caribbean aside, has Hollywood lost all originality? At least give us a completely new villain – maybe one the comic book industry can then capitalize on.

Tags:

No comments: