Monday, June 02, 2008

Fantasy football owners can breath a sigh of relief, for now

As I mentioned last week, there appeared to be some truth to this fantasy sports case being challenged in the federal courts and teed up for the United States Supreme Court to take. The Supreme Court, however, thought otherwise and denied cert in the case. See Court Refuses to Consider Fantasy Baseball Dispute. Consequently, fantasy football leagues can continue as scheduled and the MLB, NFL and other professional sports organizations who seemingly are missing out on a potentially huge revenue stream can fight their battle in another circuit and hope for some sort of split in authority. While we wait indefinitely for that to happen though, Yahoo fantasy football drafts will take place in less than three months. I can't wait!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just graduated from Florida Coastal in Jacksonville (yeah, I know, a TTT), but just wanted to point out that my Prof, Rick Karcher, has really been at the front of this discussion.

If I may, here is his argument on the excellent Sports Law Blog, if you wish to check it out at your convenience.

http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2007/10/eighth-circuits-public-domain-rationale.html


Love the blog, I'm reading through last year's entries regarding the bar, as I'm about to take it in a couple of weeks!

ECL said...

Thanks for the link and the comments, I'll check it out. Good luck with the bar!

http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2007/10/eighth-circuits-public-domain-rationale.html