Monday, March 03, 2008

Chinese takeout at the airport: A safe bet except at DFW

After a brief hiatus to the middle part of the country, I have returned reinvigorated to the east coast for the remainder of the six months I have left in my clerkship (entry about that to come later this week). There is much to write about, however, I will need to gather my thoughts for dramatic effect and more cohesive commentary. In the meantime, I'll make a less cohesive commentary about a chinese takeout place I ordered at over the weekend.

In my experience, chinese at an airport is normally a relatively safe bet although I agree you have to be in the mood for it. If you like chinese and you're in a hurry, chinese takeout is usually the way to go in terms of speed and cost (and you can scarf it down before you have to run to catch your flight). If you're in DFW though, take a pass and save yourself a bad meal by avoiding the Manchu WOK. It's the worst chinese I've ever had (in my opinion).

I recognize, rhetorically, that if you're going to Texas, there are far better eating establishments than an airport chinese takeout place, even in the DFW tarmac. And maybe I just had a bad batch of orange chicken, rice and beef and vegetables and I'm sure others have different experiences which they are welcome to post. Nevertheless, one bad experience is enough to say that I would never go there again and it's probably going to be awhile before I eat chinese again. While I've eaten at some bad places and rarely devote time to write about them, Manchu WOK at the DFW airport bears the distinct distinction of being among the worst.

And so I balance this bad food experience with a superior one, I also got a chance over the weekend to eat at Campisis in Dallas and it was among the best pizza places I've ever been to. I was told there is other good stuff on the menu as well, but I can only talk about the sausage and mushroom pizza, which was fantastic.

Speaking of food, time for me to eat.

No comments: