Sunday, December 16, 2007

I am Legend review

I saw the new Will Smith movie, I am Legend. Overall it was pretty good, and considering that there aren't too many new shows on tv anymore for a little (or a long) while, and all that is otherwise out is kid's movies, this one is the one to see. A couple quick thoughts (including spoilers) follow.

The premise of the movie is that a manmade virus has killed most of the world's population and Will Smith, one of the scientists who had been working to stop it, was one of the 1/2 of 1% of the population with a natural immunity. The remainder who were partially immune turned into some sort of vampire-type creature. In the movie, he captures them on occasion to work on an antivirus.

My friend who watched the movie with me said that he thought it was great until about 15 minutes left in the movie, where it took a fairly drastic turn from the book. Nevertheless, he said, it was pretty good. After he explained what the book was about, I saw what he meant.

Since I don't want to ruin the movie or the book for those who haven't seen or read either, I'll simply say that this review of Richard Matheson's I am Legend book explains it fairly well. Why Hollywood is so adverse to realistic endings is beyond me. Didn't Interview With a Vampire prove otherwise? I can only hope that the DVD has the true, alternate ending.

2 comments:

ECL said...

Apparently the DVD may have an alternate ending. Someone who actually read the book gives a much more thorough review here.

Anonymous said...

The DVD alternate ending is not the same ending as the book and is a typical hollywood ending. I found it on Youtube, but it's probably not there anymore. Had he been killed by the girl in the end would have been much cooler and much less Hollywood.